View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default High end sets converted from PSA to GAI

Posted By: cmoking

Jim wrote : "One audience that is very loyal is the long time dealers. You look at the displays of many dealers and there are more GAI cards than PSA."

I have a theory for this. The theory is that dealers sell their PSA cards, and can't sell their GAI cards - because they price them similarly. Blind collectors who only look at the holder buy the PSA card due to the holders. Collectors who scrutinize the cards look at them carefully and generally pass on the GAI cards at the price the dealers are asking (close to similar PSA prices) because the card doesn't hold up in quality for the grade.

Well, that's my theory...and that's also what happened for me when I went to the National. I did buy two cards in GAI 7 holders, but I scrutinized them carefully and got a price lower than it would have been if they were in PSA 7 holders. Unfortunately for me, upon a closer look in my home under more powerful light, I regretted my purchases. To say the least, I have not been happy with my cards in GAI holders. Here's a GAI 6 that doesn't belong in a EX-MT holder. Don't know if it is clear in the scan, but the bottom left corner area is ugly.

I suspect if you cracked your PSA 8 cards and submitted them to GAI, a good portion of them would come back GAI 8.5, and some GAI 9. Very few would be 7.5 or 7.

Again, this is based on my limited experience of seeing about 300 cards in GAI holders. I'd like to see more or hear others opinions.