View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default population reports on prewar commons vs. pricing

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I've bought a number of high grade (PSA 8) 1915 common CJ's and they usually run about $550 to $650, in my mind, a ridiculous price. Should the population suddenly double or triple I think eventually the prices would drop to some extent but it would be a slow drop in my opinion as there's such a frenzy for these cards - the CJs are such popular sets. I think that the slow drop in price would reflect the fact that collectors, who have such a thirst for these cards, would be scrambling to buy them if they suddenly became available and pay probably anything. In addition, so many collectors don't even bother to check pop numbers when buying cards they desperately want or need. How else can you explain the fact that a 1958 Topps Mantle in PSA 8, a card with the second highest pop in the set (other than the Mantle All-Star card), is by far the most expensive in the set? So, while the prices for some cards would decrease as the pop increased, if the set is popular the prices won't drop in a corresponding manner.