View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default Have we begun to lose our way a bit?

Posted By: tbob

Wonderful post which said a lot of things a lot of us have been trying to say for years. I know whenever I get disappointed or blue because someone here can afford a $10,000 card with no grimace or dent to their bank account, can easily outbid me and I trudge along with 4s and 5s instead of 8s and 9s, I flip on the DVD player and watch Ken Burn's Baseball, particularly the chapter called "The Faith of Fifty Million People (Inning 3)" and it never fails to instantly make those blues go away and remind me of the people depicted on the little pieces of cardboard we cherish who are and were so much more important than their lithographic imprints.
I still enjoy the cards and will collect them as long as I can. I think it would be nice as one poster commented, to be able to never sell a single card, but unfortunately for many of us, the ability to turn a profit means more money to acquire the cards we love.
To me, the real treat and reason why I cherish the hobby so much has been the ability to meet and actually physically meet and talk with so many fellow collectors I would never have met. When I was explaining to my wife why I was going to Chicago to the National Convention, I told her it had very little to do with the cards (most are available elsewhere and often at better prices) but with the people I have grown to know, some only by their ebay handles. She understood and although she hardly shares my passion for the hobby, she understood.
Thanks for sharing, John...