Thread: buying more?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default buying more?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've always bought cards I wanted when I could afford them/when I saw them. Since much of what I collect isn't easy to find, when I see them is usually more of an issue that whether I can afford them, so I don't really pay attention to the rise and fall of the market on those items. After all, acquiring cards is why God made credit. If the item is common but in demand, however, I think there are still good deals to be found if you are patient, even with the big price rises. I spent quite some time looking for a T206 Evers portrait because I simply wasn't happy with the price I had to pay for a card in the condition I wanted. I could have had one quickly if I'd wanted to pay 30%-50% more, but I waited it out and found one. Ditto for some other "basic" T and E HOFers I've recently purchased at what I felt were decent prices. On the other hand, when our "peerless leader" was offering a Zeenut Chance that I'd long wanted I did not hesitate to pull the trigger even though it was a lot of money (to me) because you just don't pass up cards on your "mega want list" when they surface. I learned that the very hard way some years ago, but I'm stupid and will do it again...heck, I had brain farts at the National last year TWICE. Fortunately, I found one of the cards still in the case when I went back the second day and happily bought it; the other I'm still kicking myself over passing on. Damn you 1958 Bell Brand Gino Cimoli short print, you will be mine some day!!!

I will say that in terms of what I am buying, I have been buying a lot less boxing (by volume) because of the big price increases over the last few years and a lot less E and T baseball too. I'm also getting my butt kicked royally at auction on high grade boxing lately; my internal pricing instinct needs revision upwards I guess. What I'm gonna buy a lot of at the National (I hope)...sorry, that's a secret. I'd have to kill you all if I tell