View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Grading Co. Experiment

Posted By: Robert

A few months back I bought 2 1933 Goudy HOF cards(Hubbell & Grove) from a big EBAY dealer and they where both slabbed 6.5 by GAI. I thought in my opinion that the Hubbell was graded to high and the Grove was deserving better.

TEST 1: Cracked them open and sent them to PSA, the Hubbell came back as a 6 and the Grove they stated was evidence of trim.

TEST 2: Cracked them open and submitted to GAI, both cards came back as 5.5's

TEST 3: Sent them to SGC (First time ever suibmitting to them), Hubbell graded 5.5 and Grove a 7

Conclusion: GAI shows favortism towards their clients, there is no way that both of these cards should of come back 1 full grade lower then what they originally stated, to inconsistent. PSA is clueless and if it were not for the fact that for some reason the cards they grade bring in more money I would never use them. Lastly, SGC in my opinion got the grades right.

To answer some questions posted, I found no evidence of trimming on the Grove and is backed up by GAI grading it twice and SGC as well especially since reading in these forums how they have become extra sensitive in their grading. I do not have a place to post the scans if someone is willing to house them and post them I will gladly send it to them.