View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default 1933 DeLong (R333)

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

I just won a June 1988 "The Trader Speaks" on Ebay and it had a letter from the one time president of Goudey Gum company. He makes mention of the other Gum/Candy companies of the day. To paraphrase;

Goudey Gum was located in the Alston/Brighton section of Boston.

Delong - Located in South Boston, headed by the ex-treasurer of Goudey Harold DeLong. The company later joined Gum products.

National Chicle - was formed by a group of executives headed by an Alvin Livingstone who left Goudey. They went bankrupt in 37 and the trade names including Diamond Stars and Batter Up were purchased by Goudey. Alvin Livingston kept some equiptment and reopened as International Gum which became Gum products which eventually became part of Moxie.

George Miller was a candy company in the North End of Boston.

Being from Boston, born about 1/2 mile from Goudey's address I find it amazing that Goudey, Delong, National Chicle and George Miller were all operating in Boston at the same time. Why couldn't one of my relative have worked there?

He believes that the reason most of the smaller companies stoped producing cards was the lack of a distribution channel and the preperation costs which he estimates at $40-50,000 in cards, boxes and wrappers.

He also states that he recalls the Lajoie as being distributed with the rest of the cards and thinks it's rarity is due to kids not saving the card of an old timer.

Interesting reading. If anyone wants a copy of the article I'll will copy it and send it out to you.

thanks

Bob