Thread: Cobb vs. Wagner
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default Cobb vs. Wagner

Posted By: identify7

I checked your math Ted, and I'll be darned; Mantle's RBI/AB are greater than those of Mays. But Ted, perhaps I am a bit of a thick head, I remember the boos and the repeated strikeouts in the clutch. And I remember Berra consistantly coming thru. Yogi always seemed to swing at anything, but infrequently struck out.

As was pointed out in a seperate post, I also recall the fans embracing (figuratively) Mantle during Maris' run for the record. But that was after the fifties.

And as far as trying to fill the shoes of Joe D.: I have no sympathy. Throughout that time we had the pressures for acceptance for players including Mays, Campy, Aaron, etc. who were able to be there because those including Doby and Robinson withstood the pressure only a few years earlier.

At the conclusion of the fifties, with the Red Sox accepting Pumpsie Green, and the caliber of play demonstrated by these and other vanguards, negro players began to be accepted.

So dramatizing Mantle's tribulations regarding being the new Bronx hero seems to me a bit egocentric. And if fact with his play in far less than optimum physical condition he is a hero. Mantle did well.

He is not a .300 hitter, he is not a clutch hitter, and to offer another of your quotes "And, especially effective during World Series
play as his numbers testify:" - come on Ted - his WS batting average is .257.

It is interesting to me that as a '50s Giants fan, "my" competition was from the Dodgers. But I never disliked them. I guess it was the Yankees pompous, no price too big, the KC A's are our farm team - because they are cash poor, etc. that turned me off. Well that and their relentless success. Throughout that interval and before and after they one 14 of 16 pennants, and the Series from when? '49-'53? Something like that. Whew, talk about dominance. And Mantle was their Star - him and that primadonna lefty Ford. I think I liked Ford less than Mantle (if you can imagine that).

It is a little fascinating that we can view the same occurances Ted, and come up with entirely different takes on it.

Oh yes Ted, I know which Indians pitchers were active in the '54 Series - it was the Giants only appearance - and they swept it. Any reference to Score and Feller are a part of your quote. But let me add: it was the throw after the catch on Wertz drive that was truly amazing to me. And Dusty Rhodes defining what a pinch hitter is. Ahhh 1954, the real Giants only day in the sun. And they did well.

Mantle = But how do I explain his baseball card prices?

And Herb Score, baseball lost something real good there.