Thread: Cobb vs. Wagner
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Cobb vs. Wagner

Posted By: identify7

Also being a NYer thru the 50s my recollection of the Mick differs on a few points. Now I was a Giants fan, so I really didn't much care for the Duke or Mick. Or Yogi and Campy for that matter.

But the Mick was an infielder (I thought SS) at first, and although he was fast, his legs were injury prone.

And the booing was unmerciful and lasted throughout the 50s. As I recall it, Mantle would repeatedly strike out in the clutch and hit (sometimes tremendous) home runs when it didn't count for much.

I believe the Yankee fans would much rather have Berra in there when the chips were down. This guy was a bum, and da Bum, Duke, hit more HRs than anybody in the 50s, and so did Hodges.

Between Willie, Mickey and the Duke: the Giants fans had the gem. The other two were good. And Mickey did play heroically with bad legs. But he still woulda choked in the clutch with good legs. With 500+ HRs how many 100 RBI seasons did he have?

Edited to add: I also respect O'Neill's opinion. But there is no way that Mantle could fill Joltin' Joe's shoes, anymore than Joe could fill Lou's.

Edited further to add: "not an advantage for Mantle in those years. With
the likes of Bob Feller, Lemon, Garcia, Wynn, and Herb Score" - weren't the Indians used as batting practise pitchers by the Giants in the '54 World Series?