View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default Scenario~Your Opinions

Posted By: warshawlaw

1. The card was described as 1/8" narrow. HUGE red flag when you are buying to have it slabbed. We all know that the slabbers often will not slab a card if it is short or narrow, even if the card is unaltered and original. The buyer assumed that risk.

2. The auctioneer has a stated return period; the buyer did not comply with it. The buyer knew at the time he bid that the card did not measure up. How does the buyer not act for six weeks knowing there is a short fuse on returns and a problematic card, then reasonably expect the auctioneer to take back the card? Auctioneers ain't Land's End; there is no perpetual return policy.

3. The auctioneer has a stated policy of refusing to accept the opinions of 3rd party graders. The buyer's complaint is founded on a 3rd party opinion about the card. I don't think it is fair to ask a seller with a clearly stated policy refusing to accept the determinations of 3rd party graders to refund money based on a 3rd party grader's opinion.

4. All of the slabbers--PSA, GAI and yes even our beloved SGC--make mistakes on cards. I had a beautiful T218 rejected as trimmed one month and slabbed an 84 on resubmittal. Unless someone saw the card get trimmed, all of it is opinion. If we are talking about Lew's auction here, and I had to bet as to who would qualify better in court to testify as an opinion expert on cards, I'd bet on Lew over anyone working at SGC.