View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Cobb Bat On - Warning - Deceptive Listing

Posted By: Anson

Without getting ourselves into trouble, would it be possible to put out a list of "sellers to watch out for"? Besides the obvious reprints and fakes that less-than-brilliant folks auction off, some of these situations frighten me.

With the Cobb auction, things that caught my attention were:

"$2,500 VG GAI 3" - Is GAI grading VGs at 3 now?

"I WAS ROBBED! THIS CARD SHOULD HAVE BEEN GRADED A 3" - Now knowing that it was bought from someone else, how were THEY robbed?

COBB IS A HALL OF FAMER (HOF) HALL OF FAME AND THE GREATEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME. YES, EVEN BETTER THAN RUTH!!! - cough *cough* gasp. Don't get me wrong, Cobb was the best of his time but this is a bold statement.

"This card was graded a Good 2 by GAI (Global Authentication Inc.) GAI along with PSA (Professional Sports Card Authenticator, BGS (Beckett Grading Service), and BVG (Beckett Vintage Grading) are by far the most respected and trusted brands in sports card grading. This card was graded by a professional card grader at GAI." Now BVG is a respected vintage grader?

It is odd that they left out a scan of the back. We all know that GAI usually doesn't grade something a 2 without having something quite obvious. The scan doesn't seem to look any worse than a 4. Red Flag

Caveat Emptor