View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Mr. X t-206's on ebay

Posted By: Robert

I personally think its noteworthy that someone was able to complete the monster minus the wagner and congratulations to Mr. X whoever he is on this accomplishment. Maybe I am way off here and if so, I am sure fellow members will let me know but it appears that there is some underlying resentment as to how TJ went about things with his initial posts about the collection as well as the content of the listings. I think its a bit far fetched to say or insinuate that PSA was overly nice on the grading of the Mr. X collection with some underlying motive or reason behind it. I do agree that from looking at the scans alone that some of the card grades appear to be borderline grades but at the same time I will say that the Mr. X collection isnt the first time that this "appears" to have happened whether you are talking about an entire set being submitted for grading or single cards from collectors like us. I dont think SGC or GAI is or has been any different. Each one of the grading companies have made mistakes in grading from our viewpoints and I think its a bit much to expect to be perfect all the time in grading.
I personally could care less if the cards are from the Mr. X collection or not. If a person looks at a card whether its TJ selling it or someone else and they are happy with the looks of the card and they arent just buying the card solely because it has a numeric grade associated with it then that is what matters. As has been said more than once on the board, one should buy the card and not the grade itself. If the Mr. X collection had not be as "hyped" as it had been and it was a fellow member of the board who was selling off the 206 collection, would the same kind of remarks as to the persons validity be made as well as the judgement on each and every card? TJ is a collector as well as a businessman and he is obviously making money off these cards and that is fine. When it all comes down to it, Mr. X was a collector of the set and accomplished something that many are still striving to do. Maybe the problem is in the fact that people had preconceived expectations as to the quality of the cards from this set just because Mr. X is a celebrity when in actuality, TJ never made any claims that the collection was of high grade quality in the first place. Slabbed or not, these cards still have merit on their own whether they are from Mr.X or from one of us. Maybe you dont agree with how TJ went about things or how the set has received the "hype" it has but that doesnt change the fact that a lot of us would be proud to have some of the cards in our collection and appreciate them just as much as Mr.X has. Instead of mocking what has been going on, lets try and be mindful that there are other 206 collectors who will have an opportunity to add to their personal collection. Even with all the "hype" this set is getting, the bigger issue is that people who are thinking about getting into the vintage side of collecting are being exposed to such and given a chance to do so and to me that is a good thing even if I may not agree with every little thing.

basicgreatguy@hotmail.com