View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default So... do you think this Cap Anson auto is real?

Posted By: CapChronicled

From the samples I've seen, there's a big difference between Anson autos signed "A.C. Anson" and "Adrian Anson." I've spoken to his great-grandson, keeper of his archives and he has confirmed that most of Anson's personal correspondence was signed A.C. Anson. Also most of his sigs on his City Clerk stationary dating from 1905-1907 are "A.C." versions. In presentation copies of his book, he would sign with his full name, a much rarer auto. The "A's" are completely different depending on which way he signed. When just signing "A.C." they are round and loopy. When he wrote out "Adrian" there is a forward tail, and the A is pointed. It's quite dramatic between the two types, and one wouldn't assume they come from the same person.

As far as Jay's auto is concerned, I've never seen a writing sample from Anson that was so ornate. It's odd that it is signed on the back of a cabinet photo, not many people would have it signed there by the person on front. It would seem likely that it was done by someone else in order to identify the subject on front. But it is possible Anson took his time for an important friend and signed it that way. The actual signature is very close in style to the other A.C. sigs I've seen, such as the Topps Tribute card on the front page of my website www.capanson.com.