View Single Post
Old 04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Plank on PSA's website

Posted By: scgaynor

PSA must really be feeling the heat to get more submissions in the vintage card market. This whole "Mr X collection" is kind of cheezy. I am all for items having great provenance, but who is Mr X? I can understanding labeling something as "Halper Collection" or "White Mountain" Collection, as it points to a special one time collection of great significance. If all of the cards were 8s and 9s, it would make sense, but not 1's and 4's.

After reading the article, it seems as if they want readers to think that this was the only T206 "set" in existance. A chance to buy a collection like this as one or two lots shows up at least once or twice a year in catalog auctions. Not only that, but it is not really a "find" since the guy who owned it knew exactly what he had and has only had the cards since the 1980s. Last week I made a "find" of my 1984 Topps set that I put together from packs 20 years ago.

This is the type of hype that I would expect from a flea market dealer, not a professional grading company. I certainly would not expect to see something like this from SGC.

Scott