View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Default Could this Honus Wagner be real?

Posted By: Duane

My father inherited old scrap books from his grandfather about 30 years ago. He found a Joe Dimagio play ball card in poor condition because of glue damage. He also found a bunch more cards ranging from the early nineteen hundreds to the 40's. He has also recovered preprobition cincinnati rare beer labels dating in the early 1900's. A couple of days ago he came across a honus wagner card behind an envelope which contain some old stamps in one of the scrap books. It appears to be a 1909 T-206 I believe. It is in pretty good condition except for a wrinkle right of center. It looks genuine in my opinion. The only thing I am having trouble with is that it has a white blank backing. His grandfather died in the mid-seventies so it could be a replica, but there is a good chance it is real.
I researched a little bit about blank backs and it seems that proofs were made before the final print with no back. The ink looks very old and has no gloss whatsoever. From what I have been told his grandfather only saved cards from his earlier years and I tried to research honus wagner reprints from the pre 70's and 70's, but I can't find any. Could it be real?