View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Which kind of bidder are you?

Posted By: Dave

I almost alway snipe, by myself (ebay). I will often bid early in an auction because it is as easy as My ebay. But that will usually be at half expected price or lower.

To snipe on my own, I take the ebay page of the card I want, make it about 3" tall, and it Ctrl-N. Presto, a second copy. This one I lower below the first. I continually hit refresh on the lower window, while I've typed in my snipe bid in the top, up to the confirm page. So, I can track the price in the bottom window, and with 10 seconds left, hit confirm on the top.

Does it work? I don't go overboard on my bids, so I only win 1 in 5 - seems like 1 in 10 lately. I also synchronize my PC clock with NIST, which tracks ebay to the second. I usually double click on the clock at the lower right, which opens a floating clock with second hand, which I place top right corner, away from the two bid windows.

If there are two cards finishing within minutes of each other, I will go through the same process twice until I have 4 windows available. Since these won't all fit, I'll layer these left to right, with the two cards separated top to bottom. So, the bid window is on bottom, sticking out on the left, and the track window is on the right, with the refresh button available.

Anal? Of course, but it keeps the bidding interesting.

Sniping makes the auction like a closed bid, may the top bid win.

Dave