View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Default WOW! T206 Wagner PSA graded.

Posted By: Pete

There is an actual group of barcode fonts that can create a valid barcode that will be read by a barcode scanner. I believe that all barcodes are in the form of somekind of standardization for inventory purposes like at the grocerystore they can make their own for the isles etc. I do know this much, in a small amout of time with a computer and and a decent color printer a psa replica tag could be made that would have all the needed characteristics to pass a visual inspection and a database inquiry could leave one to beleive they were looking at the card that psa registered. Once someone cracked a legit psa case slipped that in and a phoney card, now you have a huge problem. From what I am reading about fonts etc not being the same over the years creates an even bigger mess, or yet has psa been using the same font consistently for years, and these cards with different fonts have been scams all along ? The only people who can really know the answer to font consistancy are working for PSA, The rest of us may have just assumed all along that these minor diff are just PSA variations and not an scam. This I would like to know the answer to. I am currently looking at all my Psa cards, escepially lower gradeded once that no one would have a desire to scam ( i do not own a wagner LOL) and honestly they so far are all the same. If I find an 8 that looks like a 6 and has a diff font, i might start to cry.

Pete