View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Default One that got away

Posted By: jay behrens

Leon, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. If I'm set up at a show and a dealer next to me is being grossly dishonest with someone about the value of the cards he trying to buy from a walk-in, I'm gonna say something. Just as he paid his money to be at the show, I paid mine, and if he isn't willing to pony up a collection and I am, then that's just bad business on his part.

Here's one case I remeber quite well. A dealer was set up next to me and was checking a some Sports Kings that had walked into the show. I overheard him tell the lady that he doesn't deal in those cards and doesn't know much about them. I found this quite interesting since a month or so earlier he was set up another show with very nice selection of SKs in case. A few of which I bought. At that point, I asked him he still had Sports Kings left from that nice group he had a month ago. The look on his face could have killed and lady asked me if that was true. I told her, yes, it's true becuase I collect the cards and showed her a Lavern Fator card I had in my showcase. She immediately left his table and I ended up buying the cards from her.

To say that dealer was pissed is an understatement, but by the same token, if he hadn't been a scumbag and tried to bamboozle the person, he would have probably ended up with cards.

In some ways I'm on the fence about another collector stepping into a situation like that, but if it's a case where the dealer is totally gonna cheat the person, I am more than likely gonna step up and say something.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.