View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default A few Slabbing questions few of you want to see answered:

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

While this does not directly answer the questions posed above, having had the ability to go to GAI, get to know Baker and the graders has provided me with a great deal of confidence in their ability as a grading company. I have had similar experiences with SGC.

I place that confidence in both of these organizations and trust they will do their best to determine by whatever means available, to accurately authenticate and grade cards that are submitted to them. When I submit or buy cards graded by SGC or GAI I do so knowing the level of competency of the people who graded the cards.

If SGC is anything like GAI, I suspect they rely heavily on the use of their senses—sight, touch and smell and only once something appears suspicious will it undergo further scrutiny of a black light, etc. When you have handled as many cards (altered and original) as these guys have, provided proper time has been given to a card, there is much that is detectable under halogen light and an occasional use of a loupe.