View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default T209 oddities what are we?

Posted By: scott brockelman

several years ago i purchased the 2 items below as 1909 baseball postcards, from the scans provided i assumed they were each T card size and perhaps some type of preproduction mock up. as is evidenced by the penned names and numbers.

i was greatly excited when i received them and they were much larger six about 1 1/2 times T card size on heavy stock, not like regular issues. as can be seen 1 contains 2 players from the known T209 color issue, the other contains players from the black and white series as well as one used in the t206 set. these are not black and whites however as they were taken from photographs, whereas these are crude line drawings as used in series 1 <br /> the first strip contains images L to R of beusse(i think) hoffman(series 1 card) doak(could be greensboro) & cooper(series 1 card). the second strip has kite? brooks, tiedeman or tydeman(both are in the B&W issue, but not this pose) and orth which is the identical pose for the t206.

MY THEORY is that the unknown "cards" were going to be used in the 2nd series of the color issue that never materialized.

these appear to be cut from some type of sheet and have the tops of some block lettering on one of them, again this may have been some type of advertising sheet used to promote the 1st series and perhaps the 2nd as well. i am increasingly more certain that is what these "missing" poses were intended for.

they have been postally used! believe it or not! and were mailed and postmarked from wilmington, NC. to a mr & mrs andrews #840 south clinton st syracuse new york, at least i beleive it is syracuse, it is spelled ceracues! the return address is in pencil and hard to read, but appears to say from fred killille? wilmington nc

i would like to hear other peoples ideas as to their origin.

P.S. i had to outbid 2 oldtime hobbyist to get these so i am fairly certain they were something not seen by them before either.

scott