View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default Restoring cards vs restoring photos

Posted By: DD

I agree with David regarding not restoring, or in Mastro's doublespeak, stabilizing, old photos, to the extent of removing production information. I have sold literally 100,000's of photos in the past 5 years (primarily movie and TV press photos). Many of the older ones came from Dell Publishing and other magazine archives, most of which have some pen or pencil cropping borders, and all of them have writing or stamps on the back.

These markings help identify how the photo was published, oftimes, the magazine, issue, and page, it appeared on, and lends to the authenticity of the item.

I recently sold a photo of Rudolph Valentino and his wife for $125.00. If photos were graded (and let's hope they never are to be), this one would have received an authentic grade. Missing pieces, tears, and tape were some of the faults. However, I do not feel it would have sold for much more, or any more, if the condition was better. It was a unique image, and I'm sure the buyer liked because of that.

It is enjoyable as a dealer to find collectors that appreciate the value of an item for what it is, not solely based on condition. I like being a member of this board because there are so many collectors that feel this way.