View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Default Standard Catalog

Posted By: andy becker

...but after seeing bob's mocked up 55 all american gehrig...well i started thinking.
this is a monumental task, catalog and PRICE. catalog, ok that's not too hard. but to ACCURATELY price every issue that's pretty tough.
the average collector (and most all dealers) need the pricing on mainstream issues. and that's proabably where bob and his staff focus their time.
but, even with unlimited time and resources.....how do you price rare items? do you go by the seller's ask price? that wouldn't seem fair. do you go by ebay's "garage sale" price? do you go by the few examples you have, per card, from major auction houses? examples are the way to go (obviously), but what happens when two bidders start going at it? we all know that right?

now, i do think scd could do a better job reporting actual sales...but that would take more time and money on their part...i'm not sure the ROI for them is worth it.

back to my original statement;
bob probably could make a living writing or editing something other than baseball cards. after seeing his mocked up gehrig....well...maybe the enemy is one of us afterall.