View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Grading hits home

Posted By: leon

First of all I don't really want to get into a 189 post-thread about who did what. The top card, not in the holder, is larger than the bottom one, scanwise. That will make it show some imperfections a little better. To me the bottom one is a little darker than the top one which makes it look a little better too. Having said those things it looks like the pinhole was dealt with very nicely. If nothing was added so be it. It looks "cleaner" in the holder too. There are a couple of spots that don't look as bad on the card in the holder as opposed to the one without. Who knows?

On the slabbed issue my stance is that the grade/authentication is only as good as the folks performing the service. I know each of the 2-4 graders at SGC. I have known them for about the last 4 years or so. I respect their work even though I don't always agree with it. The percentage of outright mistakes made on vintage cards is far fewer with their company than either of the other big 2. Of course they will make mistakes but if I am buying a card I would rather have one of them "guaranteeing" it than not. I know of folks that want all of their high end cards graded and I think it makes sense. Not because I have a few high grade cards myself but because I want a "good" 3rd party, and as ya'll said, unbiased opinion. It just makes sense to want this added protection...but only if that protection is trustworthy......and I could break all of my slabs tomorrow ....the cards would still be the same. I know of one collector who get's them slabbed then takes a picture and cracks 'em out....