View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Proofs?

Posted By: runscott

as you pointed out, the question is "when were they printed?". When I made the statement "if I owned some of them..." I simply meant that if I were "sitting on the fence", it would be more pleasant to assume the best.

I had an opportunity to pick some up three years ago at reasonable prices and passed because I felt that they were printed in the last 20 years by someone who put a lot of effort into making them look vintage, by reproducing vintage photography techniques. Perhaps I blew an opportunity of a lifetime.

Some of the points David made did not require that you actually hold the item and examine it. On the other hand, with such thoroughly researched work as this person has done, only someone who is a vintage photography expert could make a more certain determination as to age, certainly a card collector would not be able to do it alone - we have to rely on the experts and circumstantial evidence.

I think that by combining David's vintage photography expertise and the Old Judge expertise that you have, that it would be simple to come up with an answer. I bet you two could sit down together with a pile of these things and give us all what we are looking for - if not, then I doubt anyone could.