View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default Harper's woodcut question

Posted By: brian p

Thanks Julie for the info on the Harper's. With the wording of the little tag-on "the men who played on the visiting team have, in most cases, emerged into a national prominence" would lead one to believe that it was printed (reprinted) sometime during the player's careers. The thing that makes me think, however, that it might date later is the change of the word "base-ball" into "baseball". Seems like I remember reading that the word didn't lose its dash (in common usage) until sometime after the turn of the century, but I am just not sure. The fact that some of the images were reprinted later gives me some hope that this is a 19th century production.

As far as my print goes, it appears to be the right size, about 10-3/4" by 15", is evenly toned and on somewhat lightweight paper. The print does show through from the other side, but one has to examine it closely to notice.

One further question for Julie--although my piece does not have a glossy appearance, it does feel smooth to the touch. Are your Harper's printed on similiar smooth paper?

Thanks again for the help,

Brian