View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Default Holy Grail Found!

Posted By: Mike H

You have all heard me drone on about how I believe we are just scratching the surface regarding memorabilia "finds". I'm not talking about gamers from prominent players, but rather the stuff we all love like equipment, pins, pennants, figurals, etc. There are hundreds of thousands of homes in this country that are 70+ years old. You know there is gold in some of them.

Now that the deal is complete, I asked the seller of my pennant to tell me where she got it. Her response reinforces the views I stated above. Here is her the email, she sent:

Hi Mike,

Glad that it arrived and your happy with it. There was an old man who lived by himself for years, he died and left his house and it's contents to a fireman. That fireman is a customer in the restaurant that I work at. He had a yard sale, which I missed and can only imagine what was there. He sold the house and needed to remove the rest of the contents. Just in talking he said there was an old trunk in the attic. Long story short, he told me to go in and take anything I wanted. So, that's what I did. I loaded up my van and took what I could. I was suppose to go back and get more stuff, but I had a heart attack and never made it. Meanwhile the house was sold and no longer his. The pennant was in the trunk. There were other pennants there that I still have, but they are from places, not sports. There was a tin full of political buttons, one of which said "Embargo Hitler". I still have not gotten the chance to go through all the boxes yet.

I had an old frame up for auction that had a picture of the man as a child with his brother. You man still be able to see it if you search under my completed listings.

Apparently this guy was a very big sports fan. He was particularly fond of horse racing.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me.