View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Any Minneapolis baseball historians out there?

Posted By: Todd Schultz

The previous poster is right--Luther is Iowa, and St. Olaf is a Division III school that my alma mater St. John's plays every year. Burr Oak is in Iowa, so the game stub is from IA, not MN.

Interesting question about the Athletic Park benefit referenced on the Opera House Tickets. It is my understanding that the Millers were evicted from the park in May '96, which led to the rather hurried construction of Nicollet Park. I suspect the land was sold for more profitable use and the tenant booted rather than there being a default in any rent, but I don't know. It seems quite possible the team was attempting to outbid the other suitor and needed to generate funds to purchase the land and save the park; thus, the benefit(s) before the season. Or, instead, maybe the team had trouble making rent and was trying to stay through the '96 season, in which case the funds generated were for operating expenses. This second scenario seems less likely to me, since the new landlord at Nicollet park would be leery of building a new grandstand and park for a club that couldn't make rent at the old one.

Keep us posted if you find out anything else.