Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Default 2nd December Pick Up Thread

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

December eBay Pickups

DIEGES AND CLUST BOXING TROPHY 17 3/4" TALL
YALE PRINCETION BASEBALL BROADSIDE 22" TALL BY 14" WIDE
U.of P. SPALDING FOOTBALL DIE CUT SCHEDULE 3 1/2" WIDE BY 2 1/4" TALL

I had a boat load of stuff waiting for me at the PO today, all eBay pickups. The one I was most anxious to get was the 17 ¾ tall boxing trophy below. It was made by Dieges and Clust, who most of you probably know made the Spalding trophies. Ive never seen this trophy before, and was taken back by the figure.I know that figure and its German! I've had just the statue before, and I have the same figure on a clock. Actually, there were a series of statues of different sports of this format, thus no doubt all of the same producer. I've had the tennis player, this boxer, and I think I had a track runnerand I think I've see a diver. Anyway theyre all German. So seeing this figure on a Dieges and Clust trophy is remarkable. Dieges and Clust was an American company based in New York City. It would certainly be interesting to learn the dynamics of how D&C came to use a German statue. The finish has a lot of tarnish so I have to look into cleaning it up.Probably because of the condition, I got it reasonable $145.00. However, when I researched it's history a little I learned the Salem Crescent Athletic Club was a long established club in NYC, and that Sugar Ray Robinson came out of it. The trophy is engraved with the following:
POINT TROPHY
SENIOR BOXING
CHAMPIONSHIPS
Met. Assn. A.A.U.
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
DEC 12TH - 14TH 1932
WON BY
SALEM CRESCENT A.C.
[linked image]
[linked image]
Ive only seen one other Dieges and Clust boxing trophy I guy showed meand thats on my Trophy Room Page http://sportsantiques.com/the_trophy_room.htm
24 tall 1947
[linked image]
Next in the post office was the 14x22 Yale vs. Princeton baseball
broadside below , no date but probably from about the 1930s set me back pretty good$14.50!!!
[linked image]
Then theres a very cool die cut of a football with a Spalding logo, and the Univeristy of Pennsylvania schedule for 1925...3 ½ wide by 2 ¼ tall, $15.00 on eBayI asked Keith Schneider of GasolineAlleyAntiques.com about it and hed never seen one like it..and its his kind of thing..
[linked image]
[linked image]