View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-

I picked these up quite cheaply at a local antique auction last weekend. I was surprised I got them at the price I did considering the method of auction for this lot was "choice" which means that the seller allows the highest bidder to choose the photos they want. Then, the lot is auctioned again with the highest bidder choosing which photos they want, etc. In all, I picked up six photos including a hockey and a baseball team and one baseball and one football individual (the individual football photo is signed by the player).

The S stands for Stone School, and most of the photographers are in the Boston area. My limited googling has discovered a pleothra of Stone schools, but I believe it may be one on Beacon street (long since closed) that was a prep school (that sent some players to Harvard). The football photo is dated 1905 (and is quite large) while the baseball photo is smaller and is not dated but I believe it to be from circa 1910 based on other photos in the auction. If any one has any additional information concerning these I would greatly appreicate it!

Thanks in advance,

Alan Elefson

aelefson@hotmail.com
[linked image]
[linked image]