View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Would you be offended?

Posted By: Ben

I am fairly new to the vintage baseball card hobby but have been collecting military items for approximately 12 years now. I collect Civil War, WWI and WWII items (both American and German). I believe most people who collect vintage cards can understand that the helmet you are interested in selling is a piece of history. All of history has not been pleasant and I don't believe it serves anyone for us to censor which parts are remembered (through collecting) and which parts are not. I understand that some people do not understand why anyone would buy such an item and that is their right. They can simply turn to the next page or click "next" on their screen. This helmet represents a part of history that most definitely should be remembered.

It is highly unlikely that a skinhead or anti-semite is going to spend 500-1500.00 on a helmet. Pieces like this go into collections because the collectors have an appreciation of history and preserving history.

Perhaps not a great comparison, but many people might find Ty Cobb and his actions/beliefs offensive but that doesn't mean card collectors shouldn't own his card. If you own one of Cobb's cards does that mean you share his feelings towards Black people? I think not.

Either way, good luck with your first auction!

Ben

P.S. Not that it should make a different but I am Jewish.