View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Default First March Pickups Thread

Posted By: Mark

Brock...

I think you are right... the Tigers just put more pennants out there than anyone else. I believe that this held true for 4 full decades (30s, 40s, 50s, 60s). They have so many neat variations, that it would be hard for even a very advanced collector to own them all.

The dated ones are among my favorites. The Tigers seemed to put some added artistry in those ones, and some are very tough to nail down (as they were only sold for one year). Every time I have lost out on one, or have been an under-bidder, I've come to regret it. It took me about 8 years to find a particular 1951 variation that I had previously let slip through my fingers.

As for other teams, I agree that Cleveland is a close second. If anyone doubts this, check out Rob D's Indians' website... The Indians produced more Championship Pennants for 1948 and '54 than most teams produced over those entire decades.

A rather steep drop to #3... but I would give it to the Boston/Milwaukee Braves. They had some great variations over the years, and really celebrated those '57/'58 championship seasons with lots of different pennants.

Worst Pennant selections over the years.... Phillies and Senators/Twins... not much imagination/effort expended by either.

Eager to hear others' feedback... whoever is still reading (and not bored to tears by now), please add to the list.