View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Default Ruth ball on eBay - questionable?

Posted By: Mark

This ball does indeed pose a dilemma. Normally, Global is reliable with autographs of this calibur, but is certainly not regarded in the same league as Spence or PSA. It interesting that the seller chose Global as their sole authenticator for such a potentially monumental piece.

At first glance, I thought this ball looked very similar to those offered by Coach's Corner. The signature appears to be rather slowly penned and deliberate, and the slant looks suspect to me. Would love to hear what Jodi, Richard and the other experts here think...

The forgers continue to get more skillful, and it is often becoming harder for us collectors to identify the fakes. In this case, the ball and autograph are both pristine and immaculate, which I believe is a strike against it. But the fact that it's on an official Harridge Ball is a positive (as this would be a difficult/expensive ball for a forger to obtain).

It's already up over $15,000... will be interesting to see what this one fetches with only the Global LOA (and no guarantee of passing PSA or Spence). I personally would stay away.