Thread: autograph book
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default autograph book

Posted By: Vincent

One possible CD that Dan B. is referring to may be found at the Old-Time Data, Inc. website:

http://baseball-almanac.com/minor-league/about.html

It appears they have two different databases available:

The Professional Baseball Player Statistical Database (1920-1929)
The Professional Baseball Player Database (1922-2004)

The Professional Baseball Player Statistical database contains year-by-year records for major and minor league players between 1920 and 1929. Every player who is listed in the Official Baseball Guides for those seasons is included, and many who were omitted from the Guides because of limited playing time have been researched and added to the database. In addition, a number of professional leagues whose statistics were not included in the Guides have been added (please see the Contents page for complete league listing).

The Professional Baseball Player Database (Version 6.0) contains year-by-year records for major and minor league players between 1922 and 2004. Every player who is listed in the Official Baseball Guides for those seasons is included, and many who were omitted from the Guides because of limited playing time have been researched and added to the database.

One possible concern is that the CD has data only through 2004. This might indicate the website has has not been updated since 2004. It could be obsolete. But who knows; the CD might still be available.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never used either database myself, but have considered purchasing them over the past couple of years. Maybe 2008 will be the year I do so.

I personally love old autograph album books too. And some of my best finds have been with the minor league team signed pages. Several of the tough turn-of-the-century ballplayer autographs I have served in some compacity (coaches, managers, scouts) with minor league teams.

Best of luck to you.