View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Default Early integrated baseball images

Posted By: Brian C.

See my revised description to my original post in light of the following helpful insights (slightly edited for brevity) from board member and Negro League / Cuban auctioneer Ryan Christoff, who presently is running a great auction at http://www.cubanbaseballauctions.com/auction.asp :

"After looking at the close-up I am still going to have to say it's Pete Hill. ... I do believe Pierce is in your photo, however. If you look between the legs of the catcher and between the legs of the guy in the sweater to the left of the catcher you will notice there are socks without the horizontal stripes that the San Diego players are wearing. They are solid white socks, EXACTLY the same ones Pete Hill is wearing. Also, between the shoulders of those two San Diego players you can see part of the face and head of the player I believe to be Pierce.

"So the way I interpret this scene is that Pierce is fiercely arguing with the umpires, which might explain why he is completely surrounded by four (white) San Diego players and Pete Hill is out there as manager to dispute the call or stick up for his player or whatever else a manager should do in that situation.

... I am almost positive that is Pete Hill. Put it this way, if you want to sell it to me, I'll buy it as it being Pete Hill."