View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Questions about uniforms

Posted By: Joann

OK - maybe here is a chance to start a "tutorial" kind of thread with a specific question. I recently picked up the card below. I try to guesstimate the date of this one (along with some other cab photos) by uniforms, but don't know much about their evolution.

All I kind of know is that bibs are maybe 1870ish and quilted pants are 1890-1900 or so. Oh - and a different uni for each position is something like 1882. That's it.

Can anyone ring in with different uniform tells that will indicate approximate years of use? I think I read once that high top v low top shoes are one way to estimate date, and that hat styles are also good indicators (but I don't know which styles were used when).

Any info appreciated - not just as relates to this photo, but any other pics or scans you might have that show uniform characteristics and how they progressed. Although .. I don't know that I've ever seen double-breasted uniforms before, so any info as to their use in this particular picture would also be helpful.

Thanks,

J