View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Default Polar Bear redemption coupon

Posted By: Morrie

So, I was at a card show today and I saw something I hadn't seen before. Figuring it would, if nothing else, be an interesting conversation piece, I picked it up.

It's a redemption coupon from Polar Bear tobacco, expiring in 1911. Since there may be folks who have information about it who don't read this thread until the pic expires, I'm going to post the full text below. But first, my question.

How common are these? I searched the archive here for them and turned up nothing, and a variety of google searches also turned up nothing aside from one long-defunct ebay auction with no final price that I could locate. I'm guessing it falls more into the "tobacciana" category, since the various cards were inserted directly into Polar Bear packs and wouldn't have been part of the redemption campaign, but I thought it would be a neat piece to display with some of my t206 cards, regardless.

I probably over-paid for it, but I'm pleased with it all the same. Any information anyone can offer would be much appreciated - the dealer I bought it from was also curious about how common these were (he's been dealing in Ohio since 1980 and hasn't seen another).

thanks

Morrie

[[full text, front of coupon:]]

11-19
POLAR BEAR
Lurhman & Wilbert Tobacco Co., Manufacturer.
Factory No. 6, First Dist., State of Ohio

WHOLE COUPON

THIS COUPON is of value in securing the articles fully described
in our CATALOGUE, which may be obtained by forwarding 2 cents in
stamps for its potge to LUHRMAN & WILBERN TOBACCO CO., Mid-
dletown, Ohio.

LUHRMAN & WILBERN TOBACCO CO.,
Middletown, Ohio.

WRITE PLAINLY Coupons sent by express not received unless prepaid.

This offer expires June 30, 1911. OVER)

[[full text, rear of coupon:]]

Polar Bear coupons are also
redeemable in connection
with any other coupons
issued by this Company.
Lurhman & Wilbern Tobacco Co.,
Middletown, Ohio.

Coupons of Luhrman & Wilbern Company bearing
expiration date of November 30, 1907, and
those bearing later expiration dates, will
be redeemable until June 30, 1911.