View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default Two Interesting Experiments With SGC Grading (T206 Cards)

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think the criticisms of this card as being less than excellent are overstrict. I have always considered a card with solid centering, no creases, no printing flaws of note and good resolution but with soft corners to be in excellent condition. if the corners were near points and the other factors were equal, it would be ex+ or possiblu ex-mt. Part of the grading decision that cannot be seen in a scan is the crispness and presentation of the image. Some cards simply "pop" and deserve a better grade than would otherwise be typical for their corners and wear. I have a number of cards like that where I think they are 1/2 to 1 grade better than the edges/corners dictate and I found that SGC generally met my expectations in that regard. The most recent one I can think of is a T205 Marquard I purchased that had a perfect image and typical vg-ex corner wear but had a tiny area of paper loss on the front. I felt it was a vg card in light of the general appearance of the card and SGC agreed.

I have crossed a lot of cards over to SGC holders for looks and protection. I am about to cross over the last couple of cards from my 1948 Leaf boxing set. If you don't want the card broken out unless it crosses at the same or better grade, say so and they will accommodate.