View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default Would Have, Could Have, Should Have. (What If?)

Posted By: T206Collector

My story has a more happy ending than some, but still disappointing to me. The first two T206 tobacco cards I ever bought were a Matty white cap and a Bender portrait, about 7 years ago, from a guy whose grandfather had left them for him. The cards were loosely kept in an old cigar box. He had about 50 or so cards, and his prices were not very good -- armed with a price guide, he believed they were worth more than they were. But, I ended up getting the Matty and the Bender for about book value at the time, and the Matty graded out to a 5 and the Bender a 4. The thing is, I didn't know enough about the rest of the commons, or rare backs, at the time to make a play for those, which I'm sure he would've parted with for a more reasonable sum. He needed the money for a vacation to Vegas, but I am told he regretted the deal for the Matty and Bender almost from its inception. Well, he isn't getting them back and I'm never selling them! But I often wish that he would call again and tell me he wants to sell the rest of his collection...