View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay Descriptions of graded cards

Posted By: Judge Dred

Full disclosure - I've purchased graded cards off ebay and to be honest with you I look at the card more than the grade. I've learned (as probably most people have) that just because a card has a grade of 3 or 4 doesn't mean it doesn't have a crease. I wish people would disclose little defects in the item description rather than have it come as a surprise. Mild creases are difficult to see in scans. Large scans can also help in revealing possible defects but a full disclosure is probably best (unless the defect is visibly obvious).

If the buyer sees something that they don't like then they can ask questions. I realize it's tough when there's 30 minutes left in the auction and you want an answer about an item but that's why accurate descriptions help. Then there is the option to not bid on the item.

Buyers shouldn't have a problem with no returns on graded cards because if the auction description states NO RETURNS ON GRADED CARDS then the seller has disclosed his guidelines regarding the auction. As a buyer I have the right not to bid on the item if I don't like the guidelines set forth in the item description. I've avoided plenty of auctions because the item description contains a clause that makes me uncomfortable.

In an auction the final hammer price has many determining factors and the fact that there are no returns may be a reason for a lower closing bid. Taking that into consideration ALL SALES FINAL (as most auctions are) can mean that the seller is willing to take less money for an item and the buyer might pick up a good deal. I guess this works both ways. Just remember the phrase - caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) and that as a buyer we all have the choice of bidding or not bidding in an auction.