View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default Saturday's Trade Deadline - The hobby lives!!

Posted By: Dennis

for your inputs on this thread. Thanks for all of the compliments concerning the photo I posted. I especially agree with Julie concerning the fact that "kids gravitate to what surrounds them". I actually showed these kids some t205s and their response was luke warm at best. They don't know Walter Johnson from Magic Johnson or "Home Run" Baker from Dusty Baker. Neither did I when I was 16. The fact of the matter is that there is no one around that was alive when the great players depicted on the n172 OJs were playing. We've all ended up here, at the pre-war forum, because we've done just as Julie said. We were all drawn in by the magic of baseball that we experienced as kids and remained in as we learned more and more about the players and history of the game.

At the risk of sounding like James Earl Jones - there is something magical about the game of baseball. Something that only (to us) can be captured and relived by vintage baseball cards. To all modern day baseball card manufactures - "If you print it they will come" and it doesn't have to be super glossy or contain a chunk of Nomar's bat - it just has to true pure baseball.

Dennis