View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Default Look what card collecting has become...

Posted By: Dan

Ben, I do not disagree that he will be a good ballplayer as he has already shown.

The problem is, he is last years rookie and there will always be a new crop of rookies to replace him and what's his face the other guy from last year? Look at Shaq rookie cards, they are worth EXACTLY, if not less, than the year they came out in 92/93. Once the hype was over, the cards fell despite Shaq being one of the most dominant forces in the NBA in years. This even happened with Jordan rookies over the years and hype at different times in his career. It seems that this has become a basic fundemental rule with these modern cards it seems. That is why it is so much more worthwhile to collect vintage, despite just loving to collect as many as I can get my hands on, they also go up in value as an added benefit. No one can say that with anything made in the last 20 plus years (well maybe some, but not many).

The smart dealer of modern stuff, sells all the HOT players stuff off at or near the peak of the media hype session, therefore maximizing their best bang for the buck. They just simply catch all the fish in the net with their checkbooks out. Then the hype ends, the dealer is happy, the buyer is stuck and that is that. But then, another player comes along and the cycle starts all over again. It makes me ill just thinking of it all.

Responses welcomed, am I way off the mark here or not? Please critique.