View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default Question about strange high t206 SLg bids on eBay

Posted By: Jason Smith

Hi,
I don't get to this forum as much as I should, and I haven't been collecting T206 as feverishly as I did about this time last year, but during the summer (I'm a teacher) I have more time to get into it on eBay, and this summer I have noticed the prices a bit higher. Good news/bad news that we are all conflicted by as collectors. As much as I like to know my collection value is going up, it hurts because I'm not nearly done! Anyway, below are 3 examples of cards that I think are going for unusually high prices.
I collect T206 because the cards are beautiful, I have a fascination with "the early days of baseball", it's a link to my grandfather's boyhood, because they are relatively rare compared to the cards that came later, and finally because they are just within my reach as being affordable (PSA 5 commons = $60 to $70) to buy a couple a month.
My question is, do you think this is a case of 2 or 3 collectors who really want these particular cards, or do you think it is someone who can just throw a lot of money around? Is that good for collecting in general? Maybe the bidder's are reading this and can shed some light...

T206 PERRY LIPE, Richmond (southern leaguer) PSA 5 $401.00
T206 MOLESWORTH, Birmingham (southern leaguer) PSA 5 $555.00
T206 FRANK KING, Danville (southern leaguer) PSA 5 $666.00

By the way, if topics like this have been covered, feel free to direct me to those posts. I'm interested in the philosophies behind the experienced collectors.
Jason