View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default 1948 Leaf....Reprints v. Originals

Posted By: Casey 

I am looking for some insight by those of you who are seasoned collectors regarding 1948 Leaf cards. As some of you know, I have been on the lookout for a 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson in a 4,5,6 range. Many of the 1948 Leaf cards for sale on eBay are raw and I understand for good reason since this is an often duplicated set.

What cues should I look for when trying to discern a reprint from an original from scanned images?

I have noticed that these cards have several colored frames that create the finished product. Many times these layered colors don't line up perfectly, which creates a bit of a blurry effect. I have noticed on the Jackie Robinson '48 Leaf card that many of the graded versions have a noticeable red color slightly offset, which creates a red line along his jaw on the right side of his face along with a similar effect in his eyes. I am wondering if some of the reprints lack this characteristic since they are made differently and if that may be an indication of a lack of originality. I know the ultimate answer is to buy a graded card, but I am curious about assessing raw cards of this year. Any input by the collective would be appreciated.

Cheers + Happy Father's Day,

Casey