View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default HELP! Please tell me if these cards are genuine...

Posted By: Gary B.

Ben - Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I was going back and forth with this guy, but decided before I sent him some hard-earned cash, I'd do a little more research. It would have been a great deal financially if they were authentic....oh well.

I used to collect baseball cards when I was young, sold them all in my late teens (including my t206 mathewson and a whole lot of other stuff i wish i had back right now), and that was it for me. I still was a baseball fan, but didn't really keep up with it until the McGwire and Sosa thing in 98. Since then, I follow it avidly, and have gotten back into collecting. Anything pre-1970 is of interest to me, and the pre-1950's stuff especially. I got all excited because I realy want to get my hands on some kind of affordable period Ruth and Cobb card at some point, but obviously only when the cards are authentic. It's a little frustrating starting from scratch, and boy has ebay changed the industry in the last few years. While cards are much easier to find these days, it seems that good deals are tough. It constantly amazes me that while there is a constant stream of millions of items flowing through ebay for sale all the time, there are just as many buyers all the time looking for every little obscure item, so the chances of seeing something and getting a fantastic deal is getting harder and harder, as the competition to buy everything seems so fierce. Baseball card stores (in my limited experiences these days) seem SO overpriced, and shows are the only places where the hope for a good deal can be found, unless you really get lucky with ebay.

Anyway, glad to have found this forum with the people who are experts in the older cards that are by far the most intriguing....

Gary