View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Default does anybody really connect with what they collect??

Posted By: Joe P.

Collecting, is not only a feel good, but makes me feel younger.
On the other hand, although the posts on this thread are all interesting, .... they make me feel older, .... but in a good way.

I reconnected with sports cards back in 1982, and that was under protest, because I needed another hobby like the proverbial hole in the head.
I got started with the Valenzuela rookie cards.
Got tired of rookie cards, because they represented more of a stock market mindset.
I wanted the enjoyment of a hobby, I already had a job.
Getting attracted to the cards of my youth, was a no brainer.
I use to buy the 1941 Play Ball for a penny a pack when they came out, and fipped them with the other kids for theirs.
That was my new challenge, and it was fun renewing friendship with my all time favorite outfield of Keller - DiMaggio and Henrich.
It was great replacing cards that I once owned 40 years before.

Before I forget, I never got to see Babe Ruth actually play, but I was in the right centerfield bleachers the day that the Babe made his last appearance at Yankee Stadium.
He was wearing a tan camel hair coat, and you could barely understand, or hear his cancer ridden gravel like voice.
It was sad indeed.
Needless to say, he received a long standing ovation.

Scott, thanks for the thread.
After the 1941 Play Ball (which I still have) the love and history of the tobacco cards were soon to follow.
Never thinking that I would do as well as I did with them.
Not that it is wrong, but in my case, you can count me as one that never ever thought of what can I get for the cards later.

It was my love and sublimation from the actual job.

Joe