View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default does anybody really connect with what they collect??

Posted By: Richard

Greetings,I have been collecting Baseball cards avidly since 1972.I too can remember my dad purchasing many packs of 1972 Topps baseball cards.I can still remember the thrill of opening those cards.I agree with Scott regarding collecting.When I was a kid I would read any books that I could find on Hall of Fame Baseball players. Not having the internet this was the primary source to learn about the Ruths,Cobbs,Dimaggios,etc.When I grew up and started working and was able to afford cards of some of these great players it was like magic. Having read about them as kids and now owning authentic cards from their playing days was unreal! This is the thrill for me.Since Baseball is the National pastime I think when we collect vintage Baseball cards we are acquiring a little piece of American history. Baseball has always remained constant throughout history. Our nation has had challenges through the decades (God knows) but Baseball has not changed. It is the common thread that we can all turn to in times of distress to forget our troubles. So to sum up I think we should collect for the sheer enjoyment and not for investment purposes. Baseball card collecting for me has many great memories that I shall always cherish.