View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default does anybody really connect with what they collect??

Posted By: scott brockelman

i never imagined this post would get so many responses, but most are of the same jest. most of us collect pre-war cards for value and investment in vintage cards, but really cherish even more, the far less expensive and lower grade cards we held in our hands as kid! would you sell your childhood collection or your off grade T206 cobb? (hint you can buy another cobb, you can NEVER replace your childhood cards!)

i had lots of non-sports back then as well, mod-squad, gomer pyle, batman, lots of topps goofy issues and they connect to my brain really quick as well. i started buying baseball cards in 1969, they were still a nickel a pack, my grandmother gave me a $1 nearly every saturday at the IGA store, thats 20 packs. most of them were 1st series of course and as a youngster who had little knowledge of baseball, i thought al mcbean was the most famous player in baseball, he was in damn neart every pack i opened, i had a huge pile of dupes and he was 12-15 deep, this is where i was going with the post. what really made our feeble minds and now larger pocketbooks click.

i know a few responded that they can connect to the vintage players we collect, i believe they live in the lives of those players and their accomplishments as well and appreciate their baseball contributions, which is perfectly fine, they are probably well versed in baseball stats and history, which i respest, as i communicate with several SABRE members. my point was to reconnect to us how and why we started.

in a nutshell, we had a great thread, that may have made a few sit back and think or rethink, and really appreciate their childhood cards.

i have no ulterior motive here, i am not out to buy your vintage cards. just wanted to reflect on WHY WE REALLY STARTED COLLECTING CARDS! no one on this board was alive when babe ruth played( julie may have been, but probably not aware of his feat, no disrespect meant). but i bet most can recall where they were when hank aaron broke the record.

call me a nostalgic idiot, but i really enjoy my $5,000 collection of 1960's/1970's cards as much or more than my $500,000 prewar card collection, yet i still bid stupid money on cards i need for the later, call it "i gotta have it syndrom". perhaps we are just a bit removed from reality.

as a final note, i much more enjoyed ready each post on this thread than the endless card grading or ebay scam posts'.

call me sentimental, or just mental

scott