View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Default does anybody really connect with what they collect??

Posted By: Chris

I started collecting in 1980. My Mom worked at the mall and in the summer I would go there and play video games. While making the short cut to the back of the drug store where the games were I noticed 1980 football packs. I bought a few and opened them up. I was hooked. I then went back and bought as many as I could with the money I had and forgot about the video games. I then started buying 1981 baseball packs. I loved those 1981 Donruss cards back then. After I started collecting my Mom would buy 2 packs of cards for me everyday and bring them home. Packs were .30 then. A parent would go broke today doing that. Then one day while walking around the local flea market with my Dad I fond a guy selling old baseball cards. I was hooked on these "old" cards. The first older card I bought was a 1959 Yogi Berra. I later found another man who sold everything under the sun but the one thing he had was a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth for $125. I begged my Dad to buy that card for me promising to do whatever it took to pay him back. Of course his reaction was there was no way he was paying $125 for a baseball card. Not surprising I guess considering he thought I was crazy paying $6 for the Berra card I had gotten. Later sold my cards in the late 80's to buy my first car as I had lost interest. Got the bug again in 1991 and have had it ever since. Now my son collects and I enjoy sharing my old stories of some of the cards I had and of course the Babe Ruth that got away.