View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Best Deal I Ever Had

Posted By: J Levine

Nick,
I rarely find anything reasonable at a show (esp. a mall show) but found some bargains other than that playball set. I got a few '55 Redmans (incl. Spahn w/ Tab), '63 Exhibit Stat back, a couple of '71 supers and a few Topps cards from the '50s for $25.

I also managed a few Bell Brand and Post for about $3 each. Being from L.A. where Bell Brands are super expensive I was very happy with that. Plus they were very nice condition.

Keep the hope alive Nick...you are in a prime area for retirees looking to sell their childhood collections...

As an aside, Haley...funny story...The first thing I thought was that the set was reprinted. But his story, his age, and the cards themselves all screamed orginal. I saw some other stuff he had incl. some '50s and '60s programs, some early baseball digests, etc. He even had an article from his hometown paper from the late forties talking about him collecting cards. Very interesting man. The cards are original (I had several dealers there look at them, and several advanced collectors as well before I even left Vegas). Not to mention I do own several '41 Playballs already and am pretty confident in my spotting fakes as well.

Joshua