View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Default Talk about Shore, etc. made me wonder: What SHOULD keep a guy out of the HOF?

Posted By: steve k

Sandy Koufax is one of the top ten greatest pitchers of all time. That is not debatable whatsoever. Yes I'll agree, some of his lifetime career stats were not great. He only had 165 wins. But neither were Joe Dimaggio's lifetime career stats and it is also not debatable that he is one of the top twenty-five greatest players of all time - and if anyone wants to say top ten for Joe, I don't argue it that much.

You say that you know Koufax and I believe you but let me refresh your memory a little bit.
1. From 1959 to 1966 he helped his team go to 4 out of 8 World Series. Despite the fact that those Dodger teams were some of the worst hitting teams, if not the worst, from that era.
2. He won 3, count 'em 3 Cy Young awards when back then the Cy Young award was given out to just one player for the entire league.
3. Just too many numerous accomplishments such as 4 no-hitters, a perfect game, strikeout records, etc., etc., etc.