View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default PayPal screws over another board member

Posted By: warshawlaw

where I came out on top every time, I decided that I would NEVER accept it as a seller. They were so quick to refund my money that it was scary. As a buyer, I love the system for its simplicity, especially since it was integrated with ebay's my ebay system. As a seller, however, I know that I will lose any dispute, regardless of how correct I am. Why bother?

I do have to differ a bit with my good friend and colleague Hankron on the issue of shipping costs, however. I admit it, I'm cheap too as a buyer, so I do understand. I do not think I would bid for many $1-$100 items if I had to take a 5%-10% hit for shipping too. I believe in giving people the options that I would like to have to go on the cheap for shipping, but that doesn't necessarily make me or anyone else who does it a crappy seller. I usually charge $2 to ship, insurance optional. That just about pays for a card holder, cardboard and tape wrapping and a bubble mailer, plus postage. My listings expressly state that non-insurance puts them on the risk of loss. If they want to send an SASE for a card, I'll do that too for non-slabbed cards, again at their risk. That being said, I also understand I take a bit of a risk of negative feedback in being accomodating because I have yet to meet a buyer who says "OK" when I explain that I am not refunding his (or her) $$ for an item that I shipped but that never arrived in their SASE or uninsured parcel. However, I decided that I would rather take the occasional hit from a disgruntled buyer than ask everyone to pony up auction house-sized shipping costs. Ironically, one of my few negatives came from a guy who wanted $2.50 to ship a $5 card and would not take an SASE. He told me I got the card cheaply enough as it was so I could fork over the jack for him to throw it into an envelope. I refused and we exchanged negatives.